The best movies to watch with dad on Father’s Day would include any film you and dad enjoy watching together, as well as movies with a father-child or parenting theme. Movies like World’s Greatest Dad, Father of the Bride, Big Fish, Field of Dreams, and Parenthood would all make excellent choices, as would an array of classic fatherhood-themed films spanning nearly the history of cinema. Paper Moon won Tatum O’Neal an Academy Award acting alongside her real-life dad Ryan O’Neal, and is a good father-daughter film-watching experience. For a good tearjerker with some real life lessons contained in it, try My Life starring Michael Keaton, which is an outstanding father-and-son story.
Classic Father-Themed Movies–Here’s a list of some other noteworthy selections for Father’s Day watching with dad:
1. Finding Nemo (2003). Here’s one about fatherhood suitable for the whole family. Animated, and set along the Great Barrier Reef, and with themes of adventure, safety, loss, and freedom, it’s highly-rated, at 8.1 stars out of 10 on IMDB. Voices are supplied by Albert Brooks, Willem Dafoe, Geoffrey Rush and Ellen DeGeneres.
2. Road to Perdition (2002). Tom Hanks heads this Oscar-winning tale that features complicated, heavy themes involving crime, revenge, and redemption. Suitable for older father-son watching, and with 7.7 stars on IMDB.
3. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962). Based on Harper Lee’s perennial-favorite novel about racism and prejudice and starring Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch–widower and single-father extraordinaire–To Kill a Mockingbird has gotten high marks for being a faithful-to-the-novel adaptation with both high moral and entertainment value. 8.4 stars on IMDB.
4. Parenthood (1989). Mentioned above but deserving of another mention–Parenthood is good viewing anytime of the year, but gather dad if he’s a movie fan, and through this one into the blue-ray. 7.0 stars on IMDB, this one is high on the Steve Martin “Funniest Performances” list, and that’s saying a lot. Laugh, cry, buy him a new tie, but
watch this with dad and let the good times roll!
5. The Pursuit of Happiness (2006). Another tale featuring a single father battling the odds and trying to set a good example for his child–The Pursuit of Happiness catapulted Will Smith even higher into the Hollywood stratosphere. 8.0 stars on IMDB.
Connected Home in Leland is ready to help when Dad needs help picking out a new TV or upgrading his media room or “Man Cave”.