This second generation of the Denon HEOS 3 speaker has everything we liked about the original, and more. It's still compact enough to place on a bookshelf or nightstand, either vertically or on its side. It's still part of Denon's HEOS whole home wireless music system, and still delivers a surprising amount of sound for its size.
And now HEOS will play pretty much anything in your music library, from MP3s to high-resolution files. HEOS also gives you access to music services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and more. Plus, the HEOS 3 has built-in Bluetooth, so anything you can play on your phone can also be played through this speaker and other components in a HEOS multi-room sytstem.
When customers reviewed the first generation of HEOS, they noted how fast and easy it was to setup. Denon hasn't changed that a bit with their latest series.
First download the free HEOS app for your smartphone or tablet, then connect your device to the HEOS 3 using the special setup cable. With a few taps of the app, your Wi-Fi settings are automatically transferred. When you unplug the cable, you'll have full wireless control of the speaker. Repeat the same quick process to add other HEOS speakers, and you can control them all with the same app.
The HEOS app lets you choose one song for the HEOS 3, and something completely different for, say, a HEOS 1 speaker in the kitchen, or a HEOS HomeCinema sound bar in the living room. Or you can group HEOS speakers together and have the same tunes playing throughout several rooms. Have first-generation HEOS gear? All HEOS components are compatible with each other.
- two built-in full-range drivers powered by dual Class D amplifiers
- ported enclosure for enhanced low-frequency response
- easy setup using your smartphone or tablet with the HEOS app
- 3.5mm miniplug cable included for transferring network settings from your device
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- free app for Apple®, Android™, and Kindle devices offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- support for online music services, including Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, SiriusXM, Rhapsody®, and TuneIn radio (subscription required for some services)
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, and WAV files
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- future support for AIFF and DSD via firmware update
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)